Saturday, June 4, 2016

Widows of ALS (wALS): What can you do to help?

I guess the appropriate way to describe me, is that technically,  I am no longer a client of any organization that caters to ALS families. My husband. Britt, passed away in August, 2015.  Most service organizations such as the ALS Association and MDA identify their clients as the patient with ALS.

I am a widow of ALS (wALS). A different classification, that's for sure. Now what does a wALS like me do? One very common thing that widows do is to keep ALS in the rear-view mirror and drive away into the sunset. Quickly.  Been there, done that. Never again.

That's okay. I'm not in the business of moral judgment here.  

There are also widows like me who don't want waste. Especially good information from learning amassed in three decades+. The landfill of painful experiences is overflowing. I am just too stubborn to let ALS be.

So I am still hanging around the ALS picture thinking of ways I can be of use to anyone who is now living with ALS or is going to.

I attend ALS support groups; maybe there is something I can offer as a timely advice to attendees. I visited three current ALS patients, two at home and one at the hospital. ALS is socially isolating. 

I offer my help. Just let me know how I can do that. Yesterday, I offered to arrange a meeting between two caregivers so they can talk about their concerns. It is always helpful to connect people together. They don't always take the opportunity, but I can only do so much.

There is always opportunity to make a difference. Even just a small one.

What can you do to help? Name one in the comments section below. Then, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment