Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cont'd: Making the Impossible Possible...

2. WHEELS. This requirement gave me the least problem. It was pretty straight-forward. I googled "accessible van rentals." I chose a couple of sites, just to check the rates and how they operated. You get to reserve on their online form and they get back to you. I chose one of them (wheeler's) because it offered a cheaper rate: $110/day. I got to talk to their CA reservation office and all documents I needed were emailed to me. I faxed back the documents which included the standard reservation form, a copy of my driver license, and credit card authorization. All in all, I paid $691 for 5 days of use.

Recognize that the accessible van rental market is merely a portion of the national fleets such as Avis. This means that a plethora of options is not a reality. I asked for GPS, but the one I got did not have it. It had the my minimum requirements but I didn't like the lap restraint. The vehicle had a four point restraint but the lap restraint did not have a strap across the chest. Everything else - ramp deployment, "kneeling" function - was standard.

Pick-up directions and drop-off at the airport. The directions are included in the documents emailed to me so I left Britt with Tom and our party to pick up the van. I got into the shuttle that brought me to the parking area. This is a communal pick-up place for other rentals and businesses needing a place to return and pick-up and share personnel that did minimal documentation input into their computer. I checked the ramp deployment and restraints, swept a cursory look at the condition of the van, called in the info they needed (fuel level, mileage, license number), and took off back to the baggage claim area.

Drop-off is even easier (or so I thought). After filling up the tank, I drove back to where I picked up the van at the appointed time and gave the keys to a gentleman who recognized the van and waved me to a line of vehicles being cleaned by another. He got into the van and offered Tom and me a ride back to the airport but we declined as the shuttle was already leaving. In hindsight, I wish I didn't give the van away without checking the man's credentials. I didn't for two reasons: I was late 10 minutes in delivering the vehicle (I got lost: this parking place had two locations. Of course, I went to the wrong one, so Tom had to get out and ask directions to the right one.) ; and secondly, because I was late, a gentleman had called my cell to ask where I was. That's why I was confident that the gentleman who looked like he was expecting me got the van. Now that I am little bit more akamai, I would suggest making sure the person you are returning the van to is the right one. The pick-up/drop-off transaction is so informally conducted, it is open to ambush. To date, I have received no unexpected correspondence, so I think I am in the clear. Hopefully, dear God.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment